Types of Treatment
Headaches are one of the most common reasons that people see their primary care physician and they account for 20% of outpatient visits to neurologists.
People with chronic (or persistent) headaches report disabling symptoms that interfere with daily activities. Multiple concussions only increase these risks. And with so much conflicting data available on the internet, it can be tough to know how to manage a concussion should you suffer from one.
According to Blue Cross Blue Shield’s 2016 Health of America Report on concussions, the incidence of concussions among adolescents between the ages of 10-19 rose a staggering 71 percent between 2010 and 2015. For girls, the incidence spiked 119 percent during that time, though almost twice as many concussions were diagnosed in boys. Sports related concussions in adolescents account for 30% of concussions. The other 70% are a result of falls, traffic accidents, or being struck or hit.
How Can I Tell if I Have a Concussion?
One of the challenges of diagnosing concussions is that symptoms can occur at different times. For some people, they appear instantly, but for others it can be hours or even days.
Symptoms also vary from person to person. There are a number of signs and symptoms to be aware of, including the following:
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Vertigo, the sensation of spinning
- Impaired postural control
- Reduced Focus
I Know I Have a Concussion. How Do I Manage It?
Though there has been an increase in awareness in recent years, 80% of Americans don’t know concussions are treatable, or the proper steps to follow after an injury is sustained.
In years past, rest, minimal exposure to light and sound, and limited physical exertion were recommended. But, did you know those guidelines were set as a result of a study published in The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery in 1968?
Today, the guidelines, based off a April 2017 study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, are totally different:
- No bed rest or prolonged rest – return to gradual and progressive activity are encouraged.
- Reading, texting, and screen time are allowed.
- Return to school and cognitive challenges is encouraged.
- ImPACT Testing is not predictive of return to sport or normal activity.
Why are SportTherapy’s Concussion Experts the Best Choice?
We’re up on the research! This person should be prepared to treat more than the visible signs and symptoms, like headache or neck pain… you need someone that’s also prepared to evaluate the emotional, vestibular, visual, cognitive, and exertion aspects. There are many medical trainees who have not been properly educated on the identification and management of concussions.
At SporTherapy, our expert Sports Certified Specialists, physical therapists, and athletic trainers are trusted by the area’s top neurologists to provide concussion management services. We use evidence-based training and the most up-to-date research to provide cutting-edge treatment and ease your worry.
Get back to the life you love today.
Hear what other SporTherapy patients have to say.
I HIGHLY recommend SporTherapy…they are a very friendly and helpful group.
I really love this place. Everyone is super laid back, which is what you want when you’re recovering from an injury. Super professional and knowledgeable team. A+ all around.
Awesome, knowledgeable staff! It can be beyond frustrating to rehabilitate an injury, but this is definitely the place to do it! All in all, a great place and assuredly where I’ll be doing my rehab next time! If I could, I’d rate this place 10 or 11 stars, but I can only put 5.
I love this place! The staff is great and have guided me through two knee replacements. I am very pleased and highly recommend!
My doctor said I could try physical therapy if I wanted for my broken ankle, but I would probably still need surgery. I am happy to say that the SporTherapy team did a wonderful job. I am at 100% and I DON’T need surgery. You guys ROCK!
I just want to offer my thanks and appreciation to the staff of your Granbury location for the outstanding treatments and outcomes from my therapy. I have used them twice now for several months at a time for a knee and hip replacement. I found them to be far more effective than a clinic I…
You people are the BEST! “Thank You,” isn’t enough to convey my gratefulness to each of you. Since I have been a client here for the past ten months, I consider myself a bit of an expert on this place. I have observed and experienced your staff’s dedication to your clients’ well-being at every level…
Is Concussion Management right for you?
Schedule an appointment with us below.